Three weeks left!

Nothing like a big virtual pile of grading to make me feel like updating my blog! I have not been very good about blogging this semester, but I've been busy with lots of other interesting things (like revising a paper and submitting a proposal). Signs that the semester is winding down:
  • I just gave the third exam in my GEO 121 (Physical Geography) class yesterday, so that just leaves the last one (which is taken on final exam day) and
  • I only have two more class meetings with my GEO 333 (Natural Hazards) class (it meets once a week and we don't have class Thanksgiving week).
Before this is all over, I will have a lot of grading to finish (bibliographies for GEO 121, final papers for both classes) and then it will be winter break. Over break I need to work. I am considering some changes to GEO 121 (see below) and have to make those decisions before classes start. I also have two other classes and one is a new prep. I am teaching a remote sensing seminar for the first time and need to figure out how to run things. The class will be based on reading and discussing articles, but I need to figure out topics, select articles, and decide on assignments.

In GEO 121 there are two definite changes coming: a new edition of the textbook and using a new learning management system. I've been using Strahler and Strahler (4th Edition), but am making the switch to the newer edition next semester. The book has changed, so I will have to revise slides and decide what to update. For the second change, I volunteered to be part of the pilot for Miami's switch to Sakai from Blackboard. That will also involve a lot of time moving material to the new site and deciding how to organize it. The last change I am considering is to make the class more interactive (during lecture time) by using team-based learning. It seems like a great alternative to straight lecture and I think it could make the class more interesting and enjoyable for the students. It also looks like a lot of work and I'm a little reluctant to dive in with all the other changes to that class PLUS the new prep, so we'll see. I may just implement a few parts of it- putting students into assigned groups to make my current in-class activities more organized. That might be a good way to test some things and decide if I want to make a full-fledged change next fall.

And, things will be even crazier next semester if our grant proposal to Ohio Board of Regents is funded. If it is, I will also be planning and organizing a summer workshop for 30 K12 teachers! We'll hear in January.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to classes with almost no concern for COVID

Important Advice for College Students Regarding Grades

Summer Plans