Summer Plans

We've reached the halfway point of the summer here at Miami (we start classes on August 24th), so it seems like a good time to take stock of what I've accomplished and what I still plan to do this summer.

Progress
Most of my work this summer has focused on REU and with the help of my student, we have made some good progress on a project. After some debate, I decided to stick with using some methodology that we've already used in this research, but apply it to different data. Most of the work done so far on this project (and the pilot study before the grant) focused on using fall imagery to detect Amur honeysuckle in forested areas. This shrub expands its leaves earlier in spring and retains them later in fall than the overstory tree species, and thus far, we have used fall imagery in our analysis (we felt that too many other plants were also green in spring). Recently, I started to reconsider this approach and tested some spring images for a conference presentation this spring. For the REU project, I have had my student analyzing additional spring images. We are including some Landsat-7 images, so there are data gaps (see this link more information). That means that some of our field plots do not have data for some of the images. We have are analyzing various subsets of the plots to facilitate comparison between images, but it's still unclear which approach we will use. I could ramble on about this, but think I will leave it for now- I can write another post later (or save it for our manuscript!) We are in the data analysis phase and testing out statistics software. We'll have results soon!

Plans
I have two family vacation trips planned between now and when we start classes in August, so I will have to really make my other time count. Once mid-August rolls around, I will need to start preparing for my fall classes- and I have a full load this time teaching three classes with no non-teaching days (I try to teach MWF when I can, but it's impossible to schedule my three-course semester into three days a week, since two of my classes have labs). I'd like to finish up the work with my REU student (before she leaves!) and get going on a paper. We won't be able to write it before she goes back to California, but if we have a good start, hopefully I can finish it.

I have attended two OGA meetings since my semester ended and will attend another one later this month. We are planning to hold teacher workshops next June, so we are in the process of planning for that.

Only seven more weeks until classes start!

Comments

  1. Not as exciting as YOUR summer, Karen! I need to catch up on your travels (by reading your blog!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back to classes with almost no concern for COVID

Teaching with Documentaries