Burnout for Everyone

Commencement was 56 days ago and Fall classes start in 51 days, so we're definitely in the middle of summer now. I was happy to realize that we're still only halfway through since I'm enjoying having a break from teaching after literally no break at all since January 2nd*. I taught j-term online (totally voluntary and for extra pay), then my usual load in spring, then I also taught the first summer session online (also voluntary and for extra pay). With our current calendar there is no break between j-term and spring or between spring and first summer session. I volunteered for both since I can always use the money (my daughter has one more year before starting college!) Having no breaks between sessions mean that grades for one term are not even due when the next one starts(!) So it's a lot and I'm thankful for the break.

But, what about the students? I'm sure we have a lot of students who took courses during all three of those sessions, too. And many take more than one course at a time during winter and summer. Winter (j-term) is only three weeks long so taking more than one course seems like it would be overwhelming. The summer session I taught was six weeks, but that's still less than half of the length of a regular semester. And many students are also working as they take one or more courses during their "breaks". As a college student I took summer classes every year- mostly to catch up on courses I needed to repeat (differential equations one summer) or taking more courses I needed after changing my major end of sophomore year. So I understand the appeal. We didn't have j-term at my school because we were on quarters and winter quarter started early January.

So what does this all mean for students and burnout? Winter and summer terms are great opportunities for them to take additional courses or study abroad, but how much does it contribute to burnout? Or causing more students to turn to cheating? Or just taking shortcuts and putting in only minimal effort? Do these students have lower GPAs than students who work and/or do internships over breaks? And these winter and summer term courses cost students additional tuition, too. I haven't done any reading on these issues, but I'll be on the lookout- share a link if you have one.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy my teaching break and try to get some research done!

*And of course I taught my usual load in fall too which ended December 16th.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to classes with almost no concern for COVID

Teaching with Documentaries

Teaching in the time of COVID-19